What Should People Anticipate As Legalization Spreads Through Europe?
The European continent is at the forefront of adult-use cannabis legalization reform. Towards the end of last year, lawmakers in Malta passed an adult-use measure making the country the first in Europe to do so. With 2022 in full swing multiple other countries in Europe may follow.
Members of the governing coalition in Germany previously announced intentions to legalize cannabis for adult use as well as launch a regulated adult-use industry. The German lawmakers did not announce a specific timeline for doing so, however, the start of the policy shift is expected to happen sooner rather than later.
Cannabis activists in Italy have likely gathered enough signatures to put a cannabis legalization referendum before voters. The effort only needs to clear one more procedural hurdle, which is expected to happen later this month. Legalization is expected to occur this year in Luxembourg according to lawmakers.
Both Switzerland and the Netherlands are pursuing adult-use ‘pilot programs’ in which cannabis will be legal in certain jurisdictions for research purposes to help craft eventual national legalization policies. Switzerland already allows the sale of cannabis products with less than 1% THC content. In every measurable way, cannabis legalization is on the move in Europe.
Opportunities For Investors, Operators, And Consumers
It is truly an exciting time to be a cannabis enthusiast in Europe and looking towards the future, the situation should only continue to improve as more countries pursue and enact sensible reform measures. Every European country that legalizes, starting with Malta, builds momentum for reform in other countries on the continent. Lawmakers have to decide if they want to get on the right side of history and see their countries reap the benefits of cannabis reform, or continue to cling to failed public policy and let once-in-a-generation opportunities pass them by.
Now that the first domino has fallen, people can expect an uptick in policy changes in the coming years in Europe. Knowing what to anticipate and getting the timing right is extremely important for investors, operators, and consumers as there will be tremendous opportunities created by the inevitable policy changes.
The perfect time and place to learn more about what to anticipate in Europe is at the upcoming International Cannabis Business Conference B2B event in Barcelona on March 10th. The event is part of the world’s largest superconference, with the International Cannabis Business Conference once again teaming up with Spannabis. Jamie L Pearson, Bhang Inc.’s (CSE:BHNG OTCQB: BHNGF) President and CEO will provide the keynote at the B2B event.
Pearson is a proven leader in the cannabis space and brings nearly a decade of experience from operating an internationally-recognized brand in the ever-evolving North American cannabis markets. She will offer her top 10 observations regarding social justice, banking, taxation, wellness, and leadership in her keynote address.
The rich cannabis history and culture in Barcelona, Spain make it the perfect backdrop for the next International Cannabis Business Conference being held in March. The conference is co-sponsored by Bhang Inc and Grow Glide. At the conclusion of the superconference the International Cannabis Business Conference will host one of its world-famous after-parties. This year’s after-party will be sponsored by Juicy Fields.
The most entertaining man in cannabis, Ngaio Bealum, will serve as the International Cannabis Business Conference’s Master of Ceremonies in Barcelona. Additional speakers include:
- Bernardo Soriano Guzmán – CO-CEO, S&F Abogados
- Guillermo J Fernandez Navarro – CO-Founder, S&F Abogados
- Nic Easley – CEO of 3C Consulting and Managing Director of Multiverse Capital
- Luna Stower – VP Business Development, Ispire
- Òscar Parés – Deputy Director, ICEERS Foundation
- Sergio González aka Weedzard – President, 420 Movement
- Iker Val – CPO, Sovereign Fields
- Chloe Grossman – Executive Director of Corporate Growth, Trulieve Cannabis Corp
- Roberto Algar – Managing Director, Curaleaf Switzerland
- Santiago Ongay – CEO, Sabia
- Kai-Friedrich Niermann – Founder, KFN+ Law Office
- Dr. Juana Vasella – Attorney of Law, MME Legal Zurich
- Joan Simó Cruanyes – Coordinator of Cananbis Hub UPC
- Albert Tio – Founder of Airam and President of Fedcac
- Aaron Smith – Co-Founder and Executive Director, National Cannabis Industry Association
- Lisa Haag – Founder, MJ_Universe
- Juanma Fernández – CEO, Easy CSC Group
- Patricia Amiguet – Founder of Pachamama Cannabis Association and President of CatFAC
- Zeta Ceti – Founder and CEO, Green Rush Consulting
- Ruben Valenzuela Moreno – CTO, Valenveras
The International Cannabis Business Conference also has additional upcoming events in Berlin in July 2022 and Zurich in September 2022. You can secure tickets now and take advantage of the early bird pricing discount.